Friday, February 17, 2023 from 2pm-6pm at Palmer Woods Forest Reserve
Join the staff of the Leelanau Conservancy along with Docents, Board & LC Collective members for a day of winter fun at Palmer Woods and our official kick-off for our 2023 Trail Challenge “35 Miles for 35 Years” celebrating our 35th year of conserving Leelanau. Be the first to get all of the details about this exciting trail challenge when we announce it on Trails Day.
Please come ready for the weather! Skis, snowshoes, and warm winter gear are recommended. Headlamps, a water bottle, trekking poles & ice cleats may also be a good idea! (If winter snow levels aren’t ideal for snowshoeing, we will hike and recommend yak-tracks or ice cleats and hiking poles).
2:00pm Ski the Price Valley Trail – Bring your cross-country skis and explore the Price Valley Trail out to the fern garden and back to the Hub. LC Staff will be out on the trails too, so say hello or ask us a question!
2:30pm – Docent Guided Snowshoe – This moderately paced 1–2-mile snowshoe with our knowledgeable Docents will get you looking & thinking about the forest in new ways. We’ll start and finish at the Hub in the main Palmer Woods parking area in time to join the Fireside Chat.
4:00pm Fireside Chat – Join us at the Palmer Woods hub to warm up around the fires and join in an interactive discussion on all things trails with Executive Director Tom Nelson and the Conservancy’s Stewardship Staff.
We’ll have refreshments and hot cocoa! BYOM (Bring Your Own Mug) is preferred to help us reduce waste.
4:30pm Staff-led Snowshoe – Following the Fireside Chat, join stewardship staff on a guided snowshoe to some of the newest trails at Palmer Woods.
Dusk – Lantern-lit Snowshoeing – Take a self-guided snowshoe/hike on the lantern-lit Ursa Minor trail. Ursa Minor is a 1-mile loop trail, starting and ending at the hub.
Things to consider:
- Trails are multi-use
- We recommend that no hiking occurs on the groomed ski tracks
- Benches are located at #6 called the Mid-valley Hub, in the Fern Garden, and in between #14 & #15 (Download Map Here)
- Restrooms are located at the main parking area / Hub / #1 on map
- The main gathering will take place at the Hub with warming fires and refreshments
- It is best for pets to stay home for this event
- BYOM – Bring your own mug for hot cocoa to help us reduce waste. (We’ll have cups too!)
- Please register in advance, so we know how many attendees to plan for
- Join us for other Docent Guided Hikes this weekend: (Events – The Leelanau Conservancy)
- Look for more Trails Days events later this year!