Leland Village Green
Leland Village Green at a Glance
bench, birding, public garden
Year Preserved: 1990
Open to the public
An important element to the small town feel of Leland, The Village Green provides a lovely oasis at the end of the shopping district. Visitors and residents read their mail, wander through the beautiful native perennial gardens, or simply take a moment to relax in this picturesque little village.
A cobblestone walkway leads to our “Leelanau Preservers” tile wall. The tiles represent donations for land preservation made by families and individuals over the years.
When this space was proposed as a site for a significant number of shops, members of the Leland community met with the Leelanau Conservancy to explore an alternative. The property owner was willing to sell the land to the Conservancy and so with the support of the community, the Conservancy raised the funds needed to create this open space and community garden. The existing home at the corner of Pearl and First was sold and moved to Lake Street.
The magnificent Adelia Ball Morris Memorial Garden was created by the volunteer Village Green Gardeners (a.k.a. Leland Dirt Club).
Each Memorial Day weekend, the Wildflower Rescue Committee holds a perennial plant sale on the Village Green. Many of the plants that they have rescued are sold, as well as other perennials. All proceeds support the work of the Wildflower Rescue Committee and the maintenance of the Village Green gardens.
- Leelanau Preservers Tile Wall honors and remembers loved ones through a land protection giving program
- The gardens feature native plants and wildflowers planted by the Wildflower Rescue Committee
- A new maple tree in the center of the tile wall was planted in 2014 after lightning and insects destroyed a century-old tree
- This space is available for non-commercial community activities, such as school concerts (contact our office)
- Native plant sale held every Memorial Day Weekend
Village Green Access
In Village of Leland, on Main Street, across from the Pearl Street Post Office.